Monday 11 October 2010

Welcome to my food and photography blog

 Yep it's a food blog, a photography blog and a food photography blog. But, hopefully, this one offers a slightly different angle than the others I have seen. It will focus on images of food photography, the work of a food photographer and this particular food photographer's passion for all food, especially healthy and nutritious foods.

 To explain further, being a food photographer means I get to shoot and taste lots of new recipes. I will be publishing some of these, but also i will write about my job as a food photographer. A bit of a behind the scenes peek. And that's not all, one of my main aims is to share my love of healthy nutritious food. I believe every meal counts, so why waste it by eating something with little goodness. I have no professional qualifications in this area, but have completed a course in nutrition, studied macrobiotics and read a lot on the subject. I think a mix of passion for nutrition and also a love for new tastes, flavours and recipes means I have an informed and adventurous take on the weird, exotic and superfoods out there.

 Here my first recipe for Sweet Potato muffins, which are unusual but delicious and can be eaten as a sweet or savoury depending on what you spread on them. As you can see there is no sugar in the recipe. I try to steer clear of refined sugar as much as possible. Instead I experiment by using honey, molasses, xylitol, stevia, agave or no sweetner at all.

Sweet potato muffins
Photo © Charlotte Tolhurst


Ingredients

2 1/2 cups diced (1" square), cooked, mashed and cooled sweet potato
2 1/2 cups oat bran
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp allspice
1 cup water
3 eggs, separated
2 tbsp melted butter

Method

Preheat oven to 400˚F/205˚C. Mix sweet potato, oat bran, baking powder, cinnamon and all spice. Make a well in the centre and add water, egg yolks and melted butter, mix. Beat egg whites until they are stiff and fold these into the mixture. Fill 12 greased muffin cups and bake for 20-25 minutes until when pricking the muffin the skewer comes out clean.


Connect with Charlotte 


No comments:

Post a Comment